Welcome to the Spring Term!
Welcome back to the start of a New Year.
This term we have two leading topics. Our first half term is a Geography based curriculum about The UK. We will be looking at the countries and cities across the UK, the terrain in different areas, human and physical geography.
Once we are familiar with our UK geography, we will be comparing our town to a town in Europe as a contrast for weather and environment.
We will then be moving on to our first History based topic, of Ancient Greece.
We will be learning about life in Ancient Greece, life in Sparta, gods in Ancient Greece, and the original Olympics.
We look forward to a successful year together!
Mrs Lyth Mrs Parkinson
General Class information
- PE days will be Mondays and Thursdays- please have indoor and outdoor kits in school each week. PE kits will go home every week, to be washed and returned for the following week.
Earrings must be removed before PE, either at home or by the child in school.
- Reading - Please read with your child 4 times per week and make a note of this in their planners. Please make sure reading books are in school everyday. As soon as your child has completed their book, they can complete a comprehension quiz, and it can be changed for a new text.
- Spellings will be updated weekly. These can be practised by using the Spelling Shed app (log in details in the front of planners). Your child will be tested on their spellings every Friday. Or using the Look and Cover sheets if your child receives these.
- Homework will be given out for the whole term, in the form of a 'Pick and Mix' document. It will have different activities to choose from. There will be enough for 1 activity per week. We will not collect homework in on a weekly basis. However, we will have a "Homework Celebration Day" at the end of each term. Your child can email photos or powerpoints through PurpleMash, or through the office email, to show in front of the class on this day. Alternatively, children can bring in work from home, on this day. Homework celebration day will be Thursday 28th March.
- It is also very important that your child learns their times tables. We have daily tests in school, but it would also be extremely useful if you could also practise these at home. This can be done using the Times Tables Rock Stars app (log in details in the front of planners). The class teacher will have pre-selected the appropriate times tables for your child to access.
- Above are a range of helpful documents and web pages including our new Knowledge Organisers for Maths and Grammar. They set out key expectations and vocabulary expected in Y3. We hope that you find them useful.
- Our Class Assembly, this year, is on Friday 9th February.