Welcome to the Summer Term!
This term we are looking at Light and Shadows, before moving on to plants and life cycles, in Science. In our topic 'Why do we have a shadow?', we will be tracking our shadows at different times in the day, testing materials for reflection and absorption, and discussing sun safety. In our 'What makes your garden grow?' topic, we will be looking at different plants, and their lifecycles, seed dispersal, and labelling parts of a flower.
In History, our focus is 'How did Britain change between the Stone Age and the Iron Age?' In this topic, we will look at life in the Stone Age, the introduction of metal through the Bronze Age and the Iron Age, and how weaponry, hunting, homes, clothing and food all changed.
We will enjoy a Stone Age workshop later in the term, where we will hold real artefacts and discover ancient tools.
We look forward to a fun-filled, final term!
Thank you for your continued support!
Mrs Parkinson Miss Jervis
Mrs Banks Mrs Kerns
General Class information
- PE days will be Tuesdays and Thursdays- please have indoor and outdoor kits in school each week. PE kits will go home every week, to be washed and returned for the following week.
Earrings must be removed before PE, either at home or by the child in school.
- Reading - Please read with your child 4 times per week and make a note of this in their planners. Please make sure reading books are in school everyday. As soon as your child has completed their book, they can complete a comprehension quiz, and it can be changed for a new text.
- Spellings will be updated weekly. These can be practised by using the Spelling Shed app (log in details in the front of planners). Your child will be tested on their spellings every Friday. Or using the Look and Cover sheets if your child receives these.
- Homework will be given out for the whole term, in the form of a 'Pick and Mix' document. It will have different activities to choose from. There will be enough for 1 activity per week. We will not collect homework in on a weekly basis. However, we will have a "Homework Celebration Day" at the end of each term. Your child can email photos or powerpoints through PurpleMash, or through the office email, to show in front of the class on this day. Alternatively, children can bring in work from home, on this day. Homework celebration day will be Thursday 13th July.
- It is also very important that your child learns their times tables. We have daily tests in school, but it would also be extremely useful if you could also practise these at home. This can be done using the Times Tables Rock Stars app (log in details in the front of planners). The class teacher will have pre-selected the appropriate times tables for your child to access.
- Above are a range of helpful documents and web pages including our new Knowledge Organisers for Maths and Grammar. They set out key expectations and vocabulary expected in Y3. We hope that you find them useful.