Welcome to Year 2-2020/21
Welcome to the Year 2 web page which will be updated throughout the year with information related to our class curriculum along with news, updates and photographs of the exciting things that we have been getting up to.
* Please note that if there is a need for the Year 2 bubble to isolate at any point during this academic year, home learning will re commence and all work will be posted here. The use of Purple Mash will also resume as a means of communication between myself and the children. *
Autumn Term -
Our Newsletter for the Autumn Term can be found below.
This term, our Geography based topic is ‘Where would you prefer to live, England or Africa?’ which requires us to investigate where we live and compare it to a contrasting country. This topic also links into our Music and Art work as we explore the work of African artist Martin Bulinya. In Science we will be focusing on the basic needs of humans and animals as we explore diet, exercise and life cycles.
During the first few weeks of term, we will be using specially selected texts from the No Outsiders scheme of work to support the children in settling back into school. We will also be looking at a book called ‘The Colour Monster’ which will provide lots of opportunities for discussions on thoughts, feelings and emotions on returning to school. We will also be using books which link to our topic as a basis for our writing such as Lila and The Secret of Rain and The Ugly Five.
* We are changing the way that we set our homework and as of this term, the children will be set a Pick and Mix style homework based on their current topic. All of the children will be required to complete the activities on their Pick and Mix at home (ideally 1 per week) and share them with me via Purple Mash so I can see all of their wonderful work. Homework will no longer come to and from school each week and no homework should be sent in to school. Your Pick and Mix for the Autumn Term can be found below.
* Spellings will be sent home on a Friday and tested the following Friday. It is crucial in Year 2 that your children learn their spellings in order for them to reach end of year expectations. Weekly spellings can be accessed via Spelling Shed. Your child's login details can be found in their reading planner. The list of the words which your child should be able to read and spell by the end of Year 2 can be found below in the document 'Year 1 & 2 Common Exception Words'.
* P.E. lessons will be on Tuesday and Thursday. If your child wears earrings they will need to be removed by yourself or them prior to the sessions. Children are unable to participate when wearing earrings or any other kind of jewellery.
* Reading books need to be in school every day. Your child will read of specific days each week both individually and as part of Guided Reading sessions. Please ensure that your child reads at least 4 times at home each week and that this is recorded in their planner.
* In the documents posted below you will find Year 2 Knowledge Organisers for English and Maths. These documents set out and explain all of the key vocabulary that will be covered during your child's time in Year 2, we hope that you find them useful.
We are very much looking forward to working with your child during their time in Year 2. If your ever have an questions and queries, please do not hesitate to ask.
Mrs Sharrock and the Year 2 Team