Welcome to the Year 2 web page which will be updated throughout the year with information related to our class curriculum along with news, updates and photographs of the exciting things that we have been getting up to. Please also keep an eye on our school's Twitter account @JamesBrindleyPS for regular Tweets and to see how hard we are working and what fun we are having in Year 2.
Autumn Term -
Our Newsletter for the Autumn Term can be found at the top of this page.
During the Autumn Term our topic is Geography based. Initially, we will be finding out about the United Kingdom and the countries and capital cities within it and we will then move onto learning about the 7 continents of the world. We will then look at life in Africa and compare it to where we live in England. In our Science work we will be looking at health and exercise. More information regarding our work for this half term can be found in our class newsletter and an overview of our Year 2 curriculum can be found in the 'Curriculum on a Page' document.
* We are continuing to use our Pick and Mix style homework this academic year which will be set termly and will be based on our class topic. All children will be required to complete the activities set on their Pick and Mix at home (ideally 1 per week). Children should share some of their homework with me by sending it via email on Purple Mash. I will then share the work that I have received with the class on our Homework Celebration Day on Monday 19th December. Your Pick and Mix for the Autumn Term can be found above.
* Spellings will be sent home on a Friday and tested the following Friday. Your child's weekly spellings will be matched to their phonic ability and will be based on the phonic sounds that they have most recently learnt in school. It is crucial in Year 2 that your children learn their spellings in order for them to reach end of year expectations. The list of the words which your child should be able to read and spell by the end of Year 2 can be found in the document 'Year 1 & 2 Common Exception Words'.
* P.E. lessons will be on Tuesday and Thursday. If your child wears earrings they will need to be removed by yourself or them prior to the sessions. Children are unable to participate when wearing earrings or any other kind of jewellery.
* Reading books need to be in school every day. Your child will read on specific days each week both individually and as part of Guided Reading sessions. Please ensure that your child reads at least 4 times at home each week and that this is recorded in their planner.
* In the documents posted above you will find Year 2 Knowledge Organisers for English, Maths, Topic and Science. These documents set out and explain all of the key vocabulary that will be covered during your child's time in Year 2, we hope that you find them useful.
We are very much looking forward to working with your child during their time in Year 2. If your ever have an questions and queries, please do not hesitate to ask.
Mrs Sharrock and the Year 2 Team