Welcome to the Year 2 web page which will be updated throughout the year with information related to our class curriculum along with news, updates and photographs of the exciting things that we have been getting up to.
* Please note that if there is a need for the Year 2 bubble to isolate at any point during this academic year, home learning will re commence and all work will be posted here. The use of Purple Mash will also resume as a means of communication between myself and the children. *
Spring Term -
Our Newsletter for the Spring Term can be found at the top of this page.
Our first half term will be a Geography based topic as we explore ‘What would a Journey around James Brindley look like?’ which requires us to look closely at our local area, examining maps and aerial photographs to plan journeys and routes. In Science we will be focusing on living things within our local environment and exploring habitats and microhabitats.
At the beginning of the term we will be using the text Lost and Found to compare to a video clip of Monty The Penguin for the focus of our writing. Then we will begin a short topic on 'Dinosaurs' as we will be using a variety of fiction, non fiction and poetry books as a stimulus for our writing.
* We are continuing to use our Pick and Mix style homework this academic year which will be set termly and will be based on our class topic. All children will be required to complete the activities set on their Pick and Mix at home (ideally 1 per week). Children should share some of their homework with me by sending it via email on Purple Mash. I will then share the work that I have received with the class on our Homework Celebration Day on Thursday 31st March. Your Pick and Mix for the Spring Term can be found above.
* All children now have access to Times Table Rockstars. Their login details are in their planner and their is a parents guide at the bottom of this page if you would like any further guidance in using it. The children have been shown how to play in class and should be accessing it regularly at home.
* Spellings will be sent home on a Friday and tested the following Friday. It is crucial in Year 2 that your children learn their spellings in order for them to reach end of year expectations. Weekly spellings can be accessed via Spelling Shed. Your child's login details can be found in their reading planner. The list of the words which your child should be able to read and spell by the end of Year 2 can be found below in the document 'Year 1 & 2 Common Exception Words'.
* P.E. lessons will be on Tuesday and Thursday. If your child wears earrings they will need to be removed by yourself or them prior to the sessions. Children are unable to participate when wearing earrings or any other kind of jewellery.
* Reading books need to be in school every day. Your child will read on specific days each week both individually and as part of Guided Reading sessions. Please ensure that your child reads at least 4 times at home each week and that this is recorded in their planner.
* In the documents posted above you will find Year 2 Knowledge Organisers for English, Maths, Topic and Science. These documents set out and explain all of the key vocabulary that will be covered during your child's time in Year 2, we hope that you find them useful.
We are very much looking forward to working with your child during their time in Year 2. If your ever have an questions and queries, please do not hesitate to ask.
Mrs Sharrock and the Year 2 Team